Calgary Aluminum Wiring Replacement 2017-12-07T13:58:06+00:00

Aluminum Wiring Replacement in Calgary

Short circuit, burnt cable, on color wooden background

Aluminum wiring is a fire hazard wherever the wire is spliced or makes a connection with an outlet, switch, circuit breaker, or other component of your electrical system. Additionally, aluminum wire contracts and expands with temperature changes, which can result in overheating, sparking, and fires.

Homes built between the 1960’s and early 1970’s likely contain aluminum wiring because it was a cheaper alternative to copper. Statistically, homes containing aluminum wire are 55 times more likely to have a fire. Thousands of Calgary homes were wired during this time including many communities such as Bayview, Braeside, Canyon Meadows, Cedar Brae, Lake Bonavista, Palliser, Parkland, Pump Hill, Queensland, and Willow Park. Some communities in Calgary’s Surrounding area where also constructed during this time, such as in Okotoks, High River, Canmore, Cochrane, Airdrie, Black Diamond, and more.

Calgary Aluminum Wiring Replacement

  • Aluminum Wiring Repair
  • Aluminum Electrical Wiring
  • Aluminum Wiring Replacement
  • Aluminum Wiring Repair
  • Electrical Rewiring
  • Aluminum Wiring
  • Aluminum House Wiring
  • Copper Wiring
  • Aluminum Electrical Wire
  • Electrical Upgrades
  • Electrical Trouble Shooting
  • Calgary Aluminum Wiring

Signs your Home may have Aluminum Wiring

  1. Sizzling or crackling sound from inside the walls
  2. Circuit breakers or fuses that trip for no apparent reason
  3. Strange odour or the smell of burning plastic in a certain area of your home
  4. Unusual static on the radio, television, or computer
  5. Cover plates on switches that are warm to touch
  6. Intermittent but persistent flickering of lights that cannot be explained

If any of these signs are familiar in your home, please call or email our experts at AMPT Over Electric to book an inspection today!

Why is Aluminum Wiring such a Hazard

Copper and Aluminum wiring expand and contract differently. Thus, overheating of aluminum conductors may occur at many locations in your home’s electrical system including at switches, receptacles, splices, and pigtails.

An AMPT Over Electric expert technician can replace your home’s aluminum wiring with copper wiring that well-exceeds minimum code, making your home safe for you and your family. This has the potential to cause a fire!

Creep

When aluminium conductors are subjected to stress, the aluminum will ‘creep’ away from the area of stress. The rate of creep will increase as the temperature increases and will continue to do so until the stress equals the strength of the aluminum. When an aluminum conductor is wrapped around a screw terminal of a receptacle or switch, the aluminum creeps away from the screw causing a high resistance termination. A high resistance termination equals heat, which equals an increased risk for fire!

Galvanic Corrosion

This can occur when dissimilar metals, like aluminum and copper, are joined together and an electrical current is passed through them. The copper and aluminum have a large difference in their galvanic potential which causes corrosion, which can cause a fire.

If the increased risk of having aluminium wire in your home isn’t reason enough to replace it, then there is also the fact that insuring a home with aluminium wiring is tough. Insurance companies are aware of the increase risk of this wiring and are increasing premiums for these homes and requesting a detailed safety inspected prior to approving insurance.

Your home should be safe, comfortable, and worry-free. You can ensure you and your family’s safety in your home by replacing aluminum wiring with our experts at AMPT Over Electric!

If you are looking for more information about Aluminum Wiring Replacement packages, please call AMPT Over Electric at 403.862.1782 or fill out an online quote request today.

Ampt Over Electric Homestars
Extremely Knowledgable and Helpful. Excellent Fast & Friendly Customer Service. A+++
Jill Autry, 10/10
I hired Ampt over Electric to upgrade my electrical panel and run the wire for my hot tub. I found them to be professional, prompt and knowledgeable. They took the time to answer all of my questions and were very flexible with my schedule. I would recommend them to anyone needing any electrical work done. They certainly go above and beyond!
Sara In Calgary, 10/10
The guys at Ampt Over were incredibly friendly and professional. They listened to what I wanted and ensured that that’s what I got for the best price. I would recommend them to anyone!
Verified Private User, 10/10
(403) 862-1782
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT